.

Time until sign-ups begin:

Saturday, February 15, 2014

SpinTunes #8 Round 1 Reviews: Daniel Calwell

Dex01 - Monster
I really enjoy how your voice works with this particular genre. I especially enjoy the layering you did to create some nice harmonies. The final moments of the song could not have been done better. It was a perfect ending. My only critique is that the instruments overpowered the vocals just a little too much. Other than that, the song as a whole fit the theme really well, and it was executed extraordinarily. Nice work.

TurboShandy - Torchbearer
Listening to this song made me want to attend some kind of music festival. It almost gave me a kind of Sublime-y impression. Those are good things, by the way. I really enjoyed the lyrics and the images that you created through them. The word “torchbearer” is cool as hell, and your use of it was nifty. Overall it was really well done, and I have zero negative things to say about it.

Felix Frost - Cat’s Eye
I picture myself walking down a dark city street to this song while it’s snowing. Maybe I just went through emotional stress or something. The thing I liked best about this song is that it didn’t remind me of any other song. I could hear possible influences, but I didn’t think to myself: “Hey, this sounds like ________!” I also enjoyed the layering you used with your voice, and the effects you put on it to make it sound almost ethereal. When I first played through this song (after the Listening Party) I almost thought it was going to be too repetitive. However, the song goes into this, almost, 8-Bit type bridge. Good stuff. I have no critiques or negative comments to make about this one. Good job.

Jutze - Nancy (Please Don’t Go)
I relate to this song. I was in love with one of my teachers… Anyway,  I enjoyed this song. The guitar parts featured in this song were excellent. They made me want to dance. I think your voice lost power simply due to how quiet it was in comparison to the rest of the instruments. Other than that, it was great. Good work.
 
Jenny Katz - Secret Love Life
This song kind of makes me sad. The “what ifs” in life are tough to deal with. I enjoyed the song though. It’s very catchy and melodic, without being too repetitive or bland. Nice work.

Dr. Lindyke - Why
I really, REALLY liked this one. That piano is beautiful (reminded me of some of the music from the show LOST), and the layering of the “ahs” under the main vocal part is excellent. When the song picks up, I start dancing in my seat a little bit. I have nothing negative to say. Splendid work.

Sara Parsons - Guild
You have a very lovely voice. The lyrics in this song kick butt. “I can’t with good conscience say I tried.” really stood out to me as being phenomenal. Good work.


Caravan Ray - Missing You
It goes without saying that these lyrics are awesome. “I miss you like a bullet misses a Kennedy” was probably my favorite. (Does that mean I’m a morbid person?) The different vocal parts featured were also superb. Good stuff.

Ominous Ride - When I Lost You
This is a really beautiful tune. You have an extremely good handling on lyric writing. My only critique would be that it is a tad difficult to hear and understand you throughout most of the song. Other than that, it’s great. Nice work.

Brian Gray - The Child I Left Behind
When I first heard this one in the listening party, I wasn’t a fan of the acapella. The more I listened to it, the more I enjoyed it. It wouldn’t have the same powerful effect if music were added under the vocals. The lyrics are great. Good job.

Edric Haleen - On the Matter of Bullying (Part 3)
Jesus, this was incredible. I don’t know what to really say about this one other than that you actually made me cry. You should write a musical. Broadway needs someone with your talent.

Ryan M. Brewer - Burn Out or Fade Away (PSH)
You have a great voice. Some of those higher notes are awe inspiring. As a bass, I envy you. The lyrics, melody, and production quality are all great. Nice work!

Army Defense - Phil And Don
First of all, this particular style of music is great. I don’t know what it would be classified as, but I dig it. With this song, however, I feel like there is a little too much going on. There are some moments where it all comes together and it feels complete, but at other times I feel like stuff isn’t connected. That last moment of vocal harmony is great, though. Overall, I enjoyed it. Good work.

Jailhouse Payback - Hey Eugene
I love the title of this song, so I was enjoying this track right off the back. As I guessed, the quality of the title was met with the same high-quality in the song itself. Good work.

Ross Durand - Sitting Right Here
This song made me happy-sad. I really enjoyed how upbeat the music was, but the lyrics bummed me out. They were great, they just bummed me out. My Great Aunt had alzheimers so I can relate to the things you were talking about in the song. Good job.

The Orion Sound - Without You (A Valentines Stalker Song Sequel)
Oh man, this was great. I enjoyed every second of it. You have a great voice and so does Microglitching. The harmonies you guys did made me melt. Excellent, excellent, excellent song.

James Young - Never Coming Home
You have a very interesting voice. I like it. I also really enjoyed the moments where just the guitar was playing. It’s a very peaceful, relaxing song. Good work.

Zoe Gray - Ginger Twins
This song was awesome. Your voice is incredible for someone so young. Your use of volume dynamics create something really powerful. Plus, it’s about Fred and George Weasly which makes it even better. Keep up the good work.

T.C. Elliot - Broken Mind
You can really play the guitar, man. I really have nothing to say about this one -- it was really just great overall. Good job.
 
Trader Jack - Doom Dah
I must have listened to this song a million times. It’s just great. Your voice, I feel, was made to make music like this. Well done.

Adam Sakellarides - Right Place, Wrong Time (Time Traveller)
The lyrics and story of this song are great. It gets just a little too repetitive at the beginning of the song, but after that it maintains a good balance. Good work.

The Boffo Yux Dudes - Dead Wrong
The music in this one reminds me of the music from older MMORPGs. I dig it. At some points in the song your voice sounds great, at other points you get a little flat. It wasn’t so big of a deal that it ruined the song or anything. Other than that, good job.

Menage a Tune - The Box Feeling
You have a lovely voice. I did not enjoy the acapella aspect, however. This song could’ve been 10x better if it had just a little accompaniment. The story and lyrics are beautiful, though.
 
Sid Brown - Who You Used To Be
This is a catchy tune. I got a Blink-182 feel from it. My only suggestion would be to bring up your voice so that it isn’t overpowered by the music. Good stuff.

Taylor R - Missing You
This was a good song. It had a lot of really powerful vocal moments. It’s also catchy as hell. Good job.

Spencer Sokol - Burdens
You’ve got a really pleasant voice. There was a little bit too much background noise. I don’t know how much control you have other that, but it got a little distracting at points. Other than that, it was nice.

Wait What - Without You Here
This song speaks to me on spiritual level. I think the best part of this song is the background singers. “yeah, yeah, yeah!” The chorus is wonderful. Excellent job.

Governing Dynamics - Song To Stay Awake (700 Miles)
Your voice is incredibly soothing. I could imagine myself falling asleep peacefully to it. This song was incredibly well done. I feel like a lot of time and effort was put into it. I have nothing negative to say. Good work.

Hudson And Day - I Tried, Okay?
This song was freakin’ beautiful. Every aspect of it appealed to me for one reason or another. You have a lovely voice. Good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment